Divorce Attorneys on Long Island
Compassionately Guiding You Every Step of the Way
If your marital problems have escalated to the point where you, your spouse, or both of you want a divorce, you need qualified legal assistance. Our Long Island divorce lawyers have a reputation for protecting our clients’ best interests and helping them get positive results.
When you need a family law attorney who has extensive knowledge and can handle your case with the utmost professionalism, turn to Lewter Law Firm, P.C. We can also help you effectively resolve any alimony, child support, or child custody disputes.
To set up a consultation, reach out to us today at (516) 260-4755. We are also fluent in Spanish, Bengali, Urdu & Hindi.
Legal Requirements for Divorce in New York
Before filing for a divorce in New York, you must meet two prerequisites, including a residency requirement and a legal grounds requirement.
There are three possible ways to meet the residency requirement, including:
- You or your spouse have continuously lived in New York for at least two years before the divorce case begins.
- You or your spouse have continually resided in New York for at least one year, and you were married in New York, or you lived in New York as a married couple, or the grounds for divorce occurred in New York.
- Both you and your spouse were New York residents when the divorce began, and the grounds for your divorce happened in New York.
According to New York law, there are seven acceptable reasons, or grounds, for a divorce, including:
- An irretrievable breakdown in the relationship has occurred for at least six months.
- One spouse committed adultery during the marriage.
- One spouse abandoned the other for one year or more.
- One spouse has been in physical or mental danger from the other spouse within the past five years.
- One spouse has been in prison for three or more years in a row since the marriage began.
- The spouses have completed a year of living apart under a legal separation agreement.
- The spouses have lived apart from one another for a year because of a judgment of separation.
Finding out if you meet these two requirements is the first step in any divorce. If you have questions about whether you qualify, please do not hesitate to contact us today at (516) 260-4755.
High Asset Value Divorces
Are your or your spouse’s assets $1 million or more? If so, you need an attorney who is skilled at handling high net worth divorces. These divorces typically involve real estate, stocks, bonds, and businesses that need to be valued and divided during the divorce. With so much at stake, rely on our team of legal professionals which is experienced in helping spouses through these complex divorces.
We Can Build a Strong Case on Your Behalf
At Lewter Law, we work hard to ensure that our clients receive proper alimony and fair distribution of assets. Our Long Island divorce attorneys can help you present compelling evidence to the court to verify your claims. When you entrust your case to us, we can give you the personalized attention that you deserve.
Consult a divorce attorney on Long Island today at (516) 260-4755. Our firm also serves individuals across Queens, Nassau County, and the surrounding areas.
Services Available in Spanish, Bengali, Urdu & Hindi
Ready to Fight for You
We Go Above and Beyond for Our Clients
Dedicated to Getting You the Best Outcome