Queens Immigration & Family Attorneys
Family Reliable Immigration and Family Law Representation

Family Visa Lawyers In Queens

Bringing Families Together across Queens, Nassau County & Surrounding Areas

One of the many benefits of being a citizen or permanent resident of the United States is the ability to sponsor certain family members for permanent resident status. A family visa gives individuals the right to live and work in the U.S.

At Lewter Law Firm, P.C., our Queens visa attorneys are experienced in guiding clients through complex immigration procedures. We know how much it would mean to reunite with your loved ones and give them the opportunity to pursue the American dream. Our knowledgeable team is here to guide you step by step through the entire visa process.

Speak with a qualified family visa lawyer on Queens today by dialing (516) 260-4755. We are also fluent in Spanish, Bengali, Urdu & Hindi.

Filing for a Family Visa

The first step of obtaining a family-based visa in the U.S. involves a sponsoring relative filing a Form I-130 on behalf of a qualifying relative. There are two main categories of family-based visas, including immediate relative visas and family preference visas.

Immediate relative immigrant visas are based on a close family relationship with a U.S. citizen, and they include:

  • IR-1: Spouses
  • IR-2: Children under the age of 21 that are unmarried
  • IR-3: Orphans adopted abroad
  • IR-4: Orphans to be adopted in the United States
  • IR-5: Parents of a child who is at least 21 years old

Family preference immigrant visas are for those who are more distantly related to a U.S. citizen and those who have a qualifying relationship with a lawful permanent resident (LPR).

Family preference categories include:

  • Family first preference (F1): A U.S citizen may sponsor a son or daughter who is not married
  • Family second preference (F2): An LPR may sponsor a spouse, minor child, or a son or daughter who is unmarried (over the age of 21)
  • Family third preference (F3): A U.S. citizen may sponsor a married son or daughter, also including their spouses and minor children
  • Family fourth preference (F4): A U.S. citizen (21 years old or older) may sponsor a brother or sister, also including their spouses and minor children

Unfortunately, at this time, the government does not permit U.S. citizens or LPRs to sponsor grandparents, in-laws, uncles, aunts, or cousins.

Take Your First Step toward Obtaining a Family Visa

If you are a U.S. citizen or an LPR and have a relative who has a qualifying relationship, Lewter Law can help you obtain a family-based visa. Prior to beginning the application process, be sure you start right by contacting our Queens family visa lawyers for a consultation.

For compassionate and knowledgeable legal counsel, reach out to us today at (516) 260-4755.

Why Choose

Lewter Law Firm, P.C.
  • Services Available in Spanish, Bengali, Urdu & Hindi
  • Ready to Fight for You
  • We Go Above and Beyond for Our Clients
  • Dedicated to Getting You the Best Outcome

Opinions That Matter Most

See What Our Clients Have To Say
  • “I must thank you for all the work that you put in and the continued effort to be a wonderful law firm thank you and have a great and successful business.”

    - Kurt
  • “Thank you so much for everything you have done for me and my family.”

    - Joel
  • “Thank you for going above and beyond to help my sister last night. I know it is your duty, but I wanted to express my gratitude!”

    - Viktoria